Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sweeeeetttt!

I am really flying high this week. My tech guy "hubby" hooked up my barn cam. It is wireless and I can now sit in my easy chair at night instead of dragging off to the barn in my pajamas! LOVE IT!!! I can check on my goaties anywhere there is internet...even from my Itouch. How cool is that:) It has already paid for itself a couple of times allowing me to get there and help with kidding that otherwise might have been disaster.
We have been in kidding overload with 26 on the ground and doing well. We are almost 50/50 with sexes and have had a very healthy vigorous group despite this kooky weather.
We go from frigid cold,snow,65 degree days and monsoon rains in the span of 3 weeks.
I am pretty skeptical about the global warning issue .God must be having a hayday saying"take this and tell me who is in control" LOL!! We think that we can control the weather ...get real.
I have only 17 more does to kid with about 10 of those being young first fresheners kidding in May. I am sure glad that I sold so many and got my numbers down HEE HEE HEE!

On another note, I have been really lucky in finding great deals on the equipment that I need for the Grade A dairy and cheese license. It is amazing how things are falling into place.

I have searched for over a year for the things that I wanted to no avail but suddenly ...unbelievable deals seem to be falling in my lap. I now have my pasteurizer/cheese vat (C Van Reit no less!),3 bulk tanks with compressors,temp recorders,sinks,tables,3 hp DeLaval pumps, stainless milk lines and collection jars,washing systems and so many other little things. I am eternally grateful to all the fine folks that I have meet and their generous help in obtaining these things.
I have a few road trips to make but will love that part too.

We are totally revamping our herd this year in anticipation of the cheese making. I have begun spacing out my kiddings in two groups for extended milking.We are also adding a very select Lamancha herd to the mix. I might as well get earless ....Nubians would be in a tough fix throwing them in with a bunch of evil Alpines.While our Alpines have consistently high butter fat this should boost our components. We will maintain the highest conformation standards and continue to be on DHIA tests to ensure we are pushing production efficiency.
We will also be doing another research study with Fort Valley University on forage and parasites. I really found the results very interesting last year as well as the parasite and Johnes study with USDA.
I plan to make my microscope work overtime this year in helping with our herd management.

As promised the last link in the "Dig Another Well"series is being posted.http://www.jobclinic.org/uploads/Dig_another_well_part_three.pdf
It talks about adversity in a new way..please take the time to read it carefully.


This has been a very trying past year and the uncertainty continues to grow. I am a very controlling person and want to micro manage things a bit too much at times. Well, some things are just out of my control right now. I am so happy that I can just sit back and relax and know that it is in better hands than mine....God will prevail!

No comments:

Post a Comment