Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

WOW! Christmas Eve is a week away

Time sure flies. I can't believe that next week is Christmas. It is always a stressful time of the year trying to get gifts and food bought in advance as we all work during the holidays at the kennel. It takes effort to refocus on the true event that we are celebrating,the birth of Jesus.
We were blessed yesterday with the birth of a healthy great nephew.
It had me thinking about how Mary and Joseph must have felt ...trying to find a place to deliver their child. Most of us are fortunate enough not to be wandering around homeless,9 months pregnant on a donkeys back no less. I actually pondered what it must have been like to give birth in a stable last night as I was milking Missy (our Jersey). Things were so quite and calm. All the goats were bedded down and chewing their cud. I leaned in close to Missy in an effort to keep warm and felt her velvet fur against my cheek. The rhythmic movement of her body as she eagerly ate her grain carried me in a gentle rocking motion. I was lulled into a dreamlike state. In comparison to the hustle and bustle of today's hospital the stable would have been a very peaceful place to enter this world. I know that I find peace there at night after a long day.
The night sky was bright with stars and there was a crispness in the air but inside the stall it was warm and sweet. Steamy heat rose from the animals bodies. An occasional hen chuckled softly to herself...quite happy with her days work. The day might have been created to provide life to our plants and allow us to work but the night was created to nourish our soul.
I feel very fortunate to be able to spend this quite peaceful time with our animals. Their contentment washes away my contempt of what our society has become. For a short time the peace and simplicity of the barn envelopes me and renews my faith that God will prevail. What a more poignant way to show us that life needs to be unencumbered by "stuff"and more enriched by simply living. The "King of Kings"was not born in a palace of stone but in a warm cozy stable. If it was good enough for Jesus it is just fine for me. Excuse me while I go to my quite place:)

No comments:

Post a Comment